I often hear parents comment on how their children have taught them something, or they have learned so much from their children. It can be common to perceive parenthood as a one-way street where wisdom flows solely from parent to child. However, our children live with little of the ‘baggage’ we carry. By adopting the attitude and perspective of a child and remembering who you truly are, you can effectively address negative aspects of your life and unlock the limitless joy within the realm of family.
Let us explore the invaluable lessons and reminders that children can impart to us and the virtues they show effortlessly:
1. The Art of Forgiveness: Watch in awe as your children effortlessly exemplify the power of forgiveness. Within minutes, they can mend their bonds with fellow children, letting go of grudges and embracing pure love. Take a moment to reflect: How long does it usually take to fully forgive a peer? Allow your children to illuminate the path of forgiveness, guiding you towards profound healing and harmony. The virtue of Forgiveness.
2. Harnessing Imagination’s Magic: Observe the awe-inspiring creativity of children as they fashion a delightful game out of humble materials like dirt, a stick, or a bubblegum wrapper. Adults often need help to tap into their innate creative powers in this era of unlimited information but scarce inspiration. Let your children’s vibrant imaginations remind you of the joys of unfettered creativity. They are the key to unlocking novel perspectives and discovering new possibilities in your life. The virtue of Creativity.
3. Embracing Present-Moment Awareness: While adults grapple with wandering minds, children exemplify a remarkable quality: presence. When engaged in an activity, their focus remains undivided. Unlike adults, who juggle multiple thoughts, children effortlessly immerse themselves in the present moment. Cultivate mindfulness by following their lead and relinquishing thoughts of the past or future. By embracing the present, you invite tranquility and deep appreciation into your family’s daily experiences. The virtue of Mindfulness.
4. Embracing Spontaneity: You rarely witness a child meticulously planning their day or week. Instead, they seize the day, pursuing activities with unbridled spontaneity until joy dissipates. While planning has its place, introducing a touch of spontaneity can infuse magic into your life. Remember, life’s most remarkable opportunities often arise unexpectedly, refusing to wait for our carefully structured plans. Embrace the unexpected, and let joy and adventure find their way into your family’s daily tapestry. The virtue of Flexibility.
5. The Power of Open Minds: Children make decisions based on personal experiences, free from the influence of others, media, or preconceived notions. In contrast, adults are burdened by the opinions of others, the media’s sway, and the biases they have acquired over time. Challenge yourself to adopt a childlike openness, embracing the world with fresh eyes and an unprejudiced mind. Rediscover the joy of learning firsthand and allow new perspectives to enrich your family’s lives. The virtue of Openness.
6. Cultivating Enthusiasm: Witness the uncontainable excitement radiating from your child when embarking on a simple outing to the park or a visit to McDonald’s. Children find joy in the smallest things, while adults often struggle to ignite that spark. Release your inhibitions, let down your guard, and allow yourself to feel genuine enthusiasm for life’s everyday pleasures. You create an environment brimming with joy and positive energy by embracing childlike enthusiasm. The virtue of Enthusiasm.
7. Embracing Curiosity: Observe the insatiable curiosity inherent in children as they eagerly explore the world around them. Their endless stream of questions unveils a profound thirst for knowledge and understanding. When was the last time you pursued knowledge with the same fervor? Encourage your curiosity to flourish, and let it guide you toward meaningful discoveries. Embrace the wonder of learning alongside your children, and foster a home where curiosity thrives. The virtue of Wonder or Awe.
8. Nurturing Social Connections: Children can effortlessly maintain and expand their social circles. They eagerly reach out to friends, spending quality time with them and readily forging new connections. As adults, limiting social interaction with work colleagues or acquaintances is common. Nurture your own social life by following the example set by your children. Foster meaningful relationships, make time for friends, and embrace the power of genuine connections within your family’s social fabric. The virtue of Friendliness and Loyalty.
Children embody forgotten wisdom, as they naturally embody the joys of life, enthusiasm, and the power of social connections. Today, let’s approach life with the heart of a child, embracing the valuable lessons your children offer. By unlocking the secrets to happiness and joy through their eyes, you embark on a transformative journey that will positively impact your family life. Open your hearts, for your children are extraordinary teachers. Embrace the wisdom they share, and bask in the immeasurable happiness that awaits you all.
I invite you to sign up for our newsletter. It is a great way to get the Virtue of the Month and tips on relationships, parenting, and self-care. In addition, you’ll be the first to know about upcoming classes for successful families.
To sign up, visit the “Newsletter” section here on the website. Enter your email address, and you’ll receive our newsletter in your inbox on Wednesdays. I appreciate your interest in bringing out the best in your children and yourself. We look forward to keeping you informed through our newsletter!